| Pegboard A-Z

pegboard2

Over the summer Brian helped me install an arts/crafts/office station, aka the wall of my dreams. Several friends have asked for a breakdown—here you go!

We picked up a giant sheet of pegboard at Home Depot for $30 and the fine gentlemen there helped me trim it for free. (Note: this project commenced on a whim as we drove by the hardware store—I did not measure ahead of time and by the grace of the pegboard gods magically eyeballed it to fit precisely between the molding. Almost makes up for the ten-thousand projects I have embarked upon under similar circumstances and had to start over).

I wanted it to be framed, so we also grabbed four lengths of thin, wood molding which I spray painted gold along with all of the hardware. (Unless otherwise mentioned, items are hung with hooks from these pegboard kits.  Brian screwed the pegboard to the molding from the back, then mounted it to the wall with spacers near each of the four corners. Here is what we used:

A. Leftover piece of wood we had lying around, painted green and mounted with brass brackets

B. Topiary (I think something green is nice in the mix)

C. Print by my amazing sister Jana

D. Spice jars filled with rhinestones and googly eyes

E. Mason jars with pom-poms and dyed macaroni

F. Clock (similar)

G. Spool of baker’s twine

H. Hole punch

I. Desktop organizer (similar) filled with stickers, stamps, and extra notebooks

J. Peggable wire baskets, spray painted gold to hold paints and palette

K. Print by my talented friend Keenan Cummings

L. Wooden dowel hung with three hooks, holding assorted nylon twine and rolls of paper

M. Measuring tapes and random ribbons (we always seem to have special ones we can’t part with but can’t commit to using)

N. Label tags

O. 2 sets of 3 tins, filled with envelopes, pipe cleaners, craft sticks, paint brushes, pens, and pencils. (Brian drilled a hole in the back of each for me.)

P. Tiny scissors that are hardly functional but make me happy

Q. Double-sided tape

R. Wall magazine rack filled with construction paper

S. Single-sided tape (we like having both kinds handy)

T. Peggable wire baskets (filled with glues and colored pencils)

U. Scissors

V. Skeleton keys, good for make-believe dungeons

W. Stapler

X. Rail and hanging bins filled with colored pencils, crayons, and markers

Y. A little tray from the pegboard organizer kit filled with erasers, sticky notes, and usually a random treasure from Oliver

Z. Top Spiral Notebook, strung with twine so it can be hung up

I love this pegboard with my whole heart—it’s so nice having everything at my fingertips. Brian and the kids can easily find what they need (and put it back in its proper place!) and the vertical storage is a great space saver. I already made a mini one in the bathroom and am doing my best to refrain from hanging pegboard on every available surface.

• Rachel

November 25, 2014 10:19 pm

I’m even more in love, after viewing the breakdown. Thank you!

• Heidi

January 23, 2015 8:59 am

This is amazing! In love, completely and deeply with all of the brass accents. Do the Ikea rail and hanging bins come in brass or did you paint them yourself?

• linsey

January 23, 2015 9:50 am

Hi Heidi! I spray painted all the hardware with metallic gold Rust-Oleum! xo

• Dalia

January 24, 2015 9:39 pm

Soo beautiful! I saw this yesterday and have been dreaming of making one!! I’m going to measure tonight and go pick up a pegboard tomorrow!

• Julie

January 26, 2015 7:18 am

What a genius idea! I was thinking of doing something similar in my studio but it would be such a great thing to have in my kids room. They love making things and they do have a lot of draws with all the craft and things they need but I think it’s very good to have everything on display so they know where things really are (hoping they will stop asking me every 2 mn where the scissors or tapes are!)

• Michele

February 12, 2015 5:51 pm

Linsey,
    I loved the article on your place and how magnificently you created great storage/work/play/sleep units. It looks like a magical place for kids and adults. Beautiful work.

• linsey

February 13, 2015 8:50 am

Thanks so much Michele!

• Alma

March 14, 2015 5:34 pm

Linsey, your beautiful pegboard was such an inspiration for us, that this weekend we just finished our own… please send me an email so I can share pics with you… thanks again for the great idea!

• linsey

March 14, 2015 9:39 pm

Glad you found my email Alma, I loved your pictures!

• Sumaya

November 23, 2015 9:08 pm

I love love love everything about this ! Can you give me some more detail please of how you actually hung your board … I’m trying to put my wire baskets in and they are just not hanging ‘right’ … Can’t wait to rust ileum all of my hardware! I have loved this since the first time I saw it and only now with the help of my dad am making a mini version of it!

• linsey

November 23, 2015 10:20 pm

Hi Sumaya, welcome to the pegboard team ;) Make sure you put spacers behind the pegboard (we just put small pieces of wood behind in the corner and drilled through the pegboard, through the small pieces of wood, and into the wall)—you need a bit of space to wiggle your hardware into the front. Good luck! Let me know how it turns out!

• Alex

December 2, 2015 4:26 pm

I love this! I was just wondering how you attached the wall paper storage and the rail since they are usually screwed into the wall.
    Thanks :)