| How to Love

Summer is my favorite season, which means I begin to miss it before it has even ended. Mourning and reveling happen in equal parts as we squeeze in every ice cream and bike ride and porch evening possible. Still, its not all bad: school supply lists have been received! And while I’ll miss the spontaneity and ease of our summer schedule, it’s exciting to think about a new school year, especially when I reflect on the amazing growth we saw in our children last year.

This was one of Ivy’s early writings, and it is among my most prized possessions. The assignment was to write a “How-To” book; the children could write about anything they knew how to do well. Ivy chose “How to Love”. Its more than a mother’s tunnel vision when I tell you that Ivy is uniquely qualified to write on this subject—she truly is an expert.

How to Love, by Ivy Morris.
HOW TO LOVE 1
First, if somebody is hurt, help them and don’t forget a bandaid.

HOW TO LOVE 2
Next, love as much as you can. Don’t forget to say hi to the birdies.

HOW TO LOVE 3
Then, work hard. Don’t forget to clean up the floor.

HOW TO LOVE 4
And you get your family together.

HOW TO LOVE 5
To summarize, the ingredients list: Love, Care, Work Hard. She gets it. And for added heart tugs, she knows not just how to love perfectly, but how to love me perfectly: Togetherness, nature, clean floors. As is usually the case, something complex and befuddling and sometimes hard for adults is crystal clear to kids. Thank you for the reminder Ivy.

• Samantha

August 25, 2014 4:30 pm

Touching and true.

• suzie

August 25, 2014 10:39 pm

amazing! Ivy has the world’s biggest heart. and you guys seriously know how to do summer. way more fun than my “hide inside and never be hot” approach to this dreaded season. I vow to enjoy this last week of summer. thanks LL!

• Robyn

August 26, 2014 6:26 pm

I too am a summer lover. Maybe its the upbringing in 110 degree summers that runs in our veins. Something about sun-kissed skin and popsicles makes life sweet. What’s hard is letting go of my daughter and trusting someone else to take care of her as good as I do. Kindergarten has gotten me all emotional.

• Amber

September 8, 2014 1:44 pm

So perfectly perfect.

• Joana

January 27, 2015 8:25 am

What a star! Beautiful mind – it melts my heart as this reminds me of my eldest daughter.
    I love your writing style and train of thought Linsey, subtly hilarious and so insightful… Just discovered your website today and here you have a new follower. Best from London!

• linsey

January 27, 2015 9:28 am

Oh, Joana, thank you! What a lovely compliment. So glad to have you here! xo Linsey

• Michele

February 12, 2015 5:56 pm

That is it in a nutshell. How lovely to see your daughter already gets it.
    And hi from Seattle.